Cosmetics, Safety Issues, Color Additives, Regulatory Guideline
||The author(s) 2015. This article is published with open access at www.chitkara.edu. in/publications
The efficacy, safety, regulatory framework and marketing of cosmetic products are the most important factors for growth of cosmetic industry. The safety of the cosmetic goods are regulated by diverse regulatory bodies around the globe who all have have their own rules and regulations. The regulations of cosmetics like, nomenclature, labelling and safety of colorants(s) alter in different countries. Much stringent legislation exists in European Union (EU) and The United States of America (USA) have very much stringent legislation in order to regulate the use of cosmetic products. The safety assessments of cosmetic products is affected by the different regulations of different regulatory bodies. Nevertheless, there is a need for harmonized regulations throughout the world. An attempt has been made in the present manuscript to compare the current regulatory scenario of cosmetics in USA, EU and India.
||Print : 2321-2217, Online : 2321-2225
- Colors in cosmetics, regulation and nomenclature in the United States. (2005). http://www.personalcarecouncil.org/colors-cosmetics-regulation-and-nomenclature-united-states. Accessed 29th April 2015
- Classification of cosmetics raw materials and adjuncts. (2005). https://law.resource.org /pub/in/bis/S11/is.4707.1.2001.pdf. Accessed on 1st May 2015
- Cosmetic Labeling Guide. (2015). http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ Labeling/Regulations /ucm126444.htm#clga. Accessed on 14th May 2015
- Deepthi, V., Sudheer, M. (2013). Regulation of cosmetics and its advertisement in India with an overview of us regulation. An International Journal of Advances in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4 (6), 1661-1674
- Drugs and Cosmetics Act and Rules 1945.(2012).Definition as per Indian guidance document. http://www.slideshare.net/rakshitthumar/drugs-cosmetics-act-1940. Accessed 1st May 2015
- Drugs and cosmetics act and rules. (2013). Labeling, packaging and standards of cosmetics, Part XV, rules 148. http://shruthithyagaraj.blogspot.in/2013/09/6-differences-from-products-gaps-model.html. Accessed 1st May 2015
- European Commission.(2015). http://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/cosmetics/legislation/ index_en.htm. Accessed 1 May 2015
- European Commission: From today new EU Rules are combating misleading information and putting safer cosmetics on EU shelves. (2013). http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-677_en.htm. Accessed 1st May 2015
- EC Cosmetics Directive 76/768/E. (1998). Resources Centre/Annex_4_colouring_agents_ in cosmetic _pro ducts.pdf. Accesses 1st May 2015
- Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. (2013). http://legcounsel.house.gov/Comps/ FDA_CMD.pdf. Accessed 1st May 2015
- Groves, R., Mizerski, K. (2005). The semiotics of visible face makeup: The masks women wear. http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1110&context=theses.Accessed 29th April 2015.
- Indian Regulatory Scenario: Regulatory framework and challenges in Indian pharmaceutical sector. (2013). http://www.cutsccier.org/pdf/Regulatory_Framework_and_Challenges_in_Indian_ Pharmaceutical_Sector.pdf.Accessed 1st May 2015
- Kanekar, H., Khale, A. (2014). Coloring Agents: Current Regulatory Perspective for Coloring Agents Intended for Pharmaceutical & Cosmetic Use. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Phytopharmacological Research (eIJPPR), 11-12
- Liddell, G. H., Scott, R. (2013). AGreek-English Lexicon, on Perseus.http:// www.perseus. tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry %3Dko%2Fsmos. Accessed 29th April 2015.
- Labeling of cosmetics in the USA. http://www.makingcosmetics.com/articles/08-labeling-of-cosmetics-in-USA.pdf. Accessed 15th May 2015
- Phookan, M. (2011). India registration of imported cosmetics: The U.S. commercial service Your Global Business Partner, export. Gov 800-USA-TRADE, iaccindia.com. https://www.iaccindia.com/userfiles/files/Registration%20of%20Imported%20Cosmetics%20 in%20India.pdf. Accessed 1st May 2015
- Platzek, T., Krätke, R., Schulz. C. (2010). Safety aspects. US National Library of MedicineNational Institutes of Health, 53(6), 610-4
- Reshetnikov, S. V., Wasser, S. P., Duckman, I., Tsukor, K. (2000).Medicinal value of the genus Tremella Pers. (Heterobasidiomycetes) (review). International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms, 2 (3), 345-367. http://dx.doi.org/10.1615/IntJMedMushr.v2.i3.10
- Romanowski, P. (2014). A Cosmetic Industry Overview for Cosmetic Chemists. http:// chemistscorner.com/a-cosmetic-market-overview-for-cosmetic-chemists/.Accessed 29th April 2015.
- Regulation of cosmetics. (2014).http://www.cseindia.org/node/5289. Accessed 29th April 2015
- Regulation nomenclature in United States. (2005). http://www.personalcarecouncil.org/colors-cosmetics-regulation-and-nomenclature-united-states. Accessed 29th April 2015
- Srikanth, T., Hussen, S.S., Abha, A.,Vasantharaju, S.G., Gummudavelly, S.(2011).A comparative view on cosmetic regulations: USA, EU and India. Der Pharmacia LettScholars Research Library, 1 (1), 334-341.
- Sujit, K., Roop,N. G. (2011). Regulation for safety and quality of cosmetics is-à-vis colorants in India compared with other nations. Der Pharmacia Lettre, 4 (1), 181-191
- ] U.S. cosmetic, toiletry and fragrance association. Cosmetic largest markets. (2007). http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/sectors/cosmetics/files/doc/cons_simpl/ctfa_en.pdf. Accessed 29th April 2015.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Legal Definition of “Cosmetics”.(2014) http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/Labeling/Regulations/ucm126438.htm. Accessed 1st May 2015
- 21 CFR Part 73.(Updatemarch 2007). http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ColorAdditives/ColorAdditiveInventories/ucm115641.htm. Accessed 29th April 2015.